Mona Farrugia's Prawn Cocktail
Mona Farrugia brings the 70's and bad-menu stalwart kicking and screaming into the new year: this is what the real thing tastes like.
1 heart (only inner, very crisp leaves) of gem lettuce
1 cucumber, around 6 inches long, diced
4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
Tabasco: you only need a shake of the bottle, but make sure your bottle has not been there since 1978
250g peeled prawns, preferably sekondi (see note)
A pink of paprika to decorate and lift
Now all you need to do is bring them all together in a pretty glass. I like to use whisky tumblers
1. Shred the lettuce leaves and pile them into the glasses
2. Add the cucumber
3. Mix the mayonnaise and tomato ketchup into the infamous Mary Rose sauce - yes that pink thing - and some Tabasco
4. Squeeze in the lemon juice, toss it all with the prawns
5. Place the prawns on top of the lettuce and cucumber and top with the sauce, then sprinkle the paprika on top
6. Decorate your glass with a wedge of lemon on the side of the glass.
7. Put your medallion on and open your shirt a little.
For me, there is only one mayonnaise, or rather two. The one I make myself or Hellman's.
December 26, 2010
Report this comment
I like a bit of tang in my sauce so substitute Salad Cream (Heinz, of course) for Mayonnaise. Equal quantities SC and TK; salt and white pepper to taste. Hearts of Romaine works well instead of Little Gems, too.